Sunday, April 19, 2009

Lazy Sunday


As I've decided to begin observing the Sabbath, I did all of my homework Friday. I'm not following any strict rules for the day, simply not working (and for a full-time student, that would mean homework) and reading some scripture.

I was in public the other day when I overheard one worker say to his coworker, "How's your mental health?"
She replied, "It's much better now," with a tone of annoyance, her eyes never leaving the computer screen she was using.
"I'm not going to bring it up again. I just had to bug you one last time," he said.
From this back-and-forth, along with the adjacent non-verbal communication, I drew a few conclusions: a)The woman had recently taken a mental health day from work b)The man thought this a ridiculous idea and was perhaps jealous of her time off - that is, unless he is the type to think himself a stronger person than she for foregoing the opportunity.

I once took a mental health day from high school. It was needed - I was on the verge of a mental breakdown. Mental illness runs in my family and the transition from private middle school to public high school proved to be my trigger. After much counseling and religious growth I was fine, but it was a bit dicy there for a while. The mental health day came the morning after my lowest point. It helped me because I was able to focus my thoughts for a long, drawn out recovery.

Those who do not suffer from mental illness are fortunate and should heed their blessings in tolerance of others who do. Mental health can be forged, of course, but we still have a long way to go with the recognition of mental illness as a legitimate disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment