Saturday, February 13, 2010

Baking noms for squirrels

I'm not going to act like it's not routine for me to be at home on the computer at 11:30 on a Friday night in the winter! Don't get me wrong, I love to get all dressed up and go out, but I love a balance between that and staying in. When it's below 60 degrees outside I just seem to spend more time in than out on weekends.

Today was pretty vanilla. Class 9-10am, grocery store (see exciting food pix to follow!), interview, and helped my roommate move her furniture around. The interview went really well. I do love journalism, I'm just not sure what I want to do with it....or where I can get an internship for the summer.

Which reminds me, I don't think I've mentioned what I hope to do this summer. One of the professors in the j-school is starting a study abroad program to Uganda and this summer will be the maiden voyage. Those who go will receive class credit, internship credit, spend time doing pilates (I know, strange, but apparently he has an affinity for it) and learning the culture through visiting slums, playing musical instruments, and dancing. Basically this trip was designed for me. Now if only my checking account (from which I over drafted last week) agreed. Maybe that guy with the giant checks will appear at my doorstep with $6 grand tomorrow.

Anyway, I got some new things at the grocery store today. Here are a few:
 
Justin's Organic PB packets were at Kroger!! I got almond butter, honey pb, maple almond butter, and cinnamon pb
Cinnamon pb was my first victim, squeezed directly from packet to mouth like a child :) It was delicious. I think I'm looking forward to the maple almond butter the most, though.

Have you tried Justin's pb packets? Which flavor is your favorite??


Found a new flavor of Luna bar - I feel as if I've had four new flavors in the last month and I like that. Dulce de Leche, Blueberry Bliss, Chai Spice, Raspberries and Chocolate, and now Vanilla Almond?! They're on a roll. Get away from that Lemon zest shizz. Oh yeah, I also bought a baby ginger claw because I'm obsessed with ginger. Dude was like 35 cents.

 
I've wanted to try these since I heard about them like three years ago. Before even my vegetarian days I frequented the Hungry Girl site and she lurrrves her some shiritaki noodles.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. First of all, I was not impressed that each serving contained <1g protein. Second, they're rubbery and smell icky. Granted, the package admits to the funky smell and tells you how to get rid of it (microwave for 1 min), but it put me off nonetheless. 

I added the noodles to a miso soup I based off of The Voracious Vegan's Miso Soup for the Vegan Soul, but to which I added a ton of veggies that have been chillin in my fridge (i.e. red and white cabbage). I omitted the chickpeas and farfalle because I wanted to use the Tofu Shirataki noodles instead. Unfortunately, the noodles remained rubbery and tasteless in the soup. Next time I will make the soup per the instructions fo sho.

Oh yeah, I found roasted nori sheets at Kroger last week and I've been really into wrapping everything in them since. Take for example what I ate basically all of last week: lentils + sauteed kale and caramelized onion + peanut butter + splash of Bragg's. It's an unlikely combination, I know, but it was so delicious. I have no photo evidence, but I'll make it again soon and document it. 

I've been much better about snapping photos over the past few days, probably because I haven't had to work. I've spent a lot more time at the gym because of my open schedule. My room mate made vegan date bread with some (not Medjool) dates I bought on sale at K-Roger's and didn't like. The bread was good, though, especially the gooey middle pieces.


Someone must have thrown out that end piece on the left because this morning I saw this!

 Note the Amy's pizza box - roasted vegetable is the best pizza I've ever had in my life. But you should have seen that crazed little guy scarf that bread! He didn't even care that me and two of my room mates were gawking at him from a few feet away. Poor guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment