Friday, February 19, 2010

Lent and an epiphany

This year for Lent - oh, wait, this is my first year ever observing Lent - My room mates and I decided to keep each other accountable in the way we speak about people. When we speak negatively about someone, we have to do ten push-ups.

So far I love this. Not only do I feel incentive to hold my tongue instead of saying something mean (which causes me to re-think what I was going to say and to give the person greater consideration), but I feel like less negative energy goes into the world on my behalf.

Matthew 12:34b-37 "For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. 35The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. 37For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned." Shazam.

Today I finally went back to work!! Yay!! (I work at an after school program for disadvantaged elementary school kids in an Appalachian county.)I loved seeing my little love bugs.

Today I had an epiphany.....I want to be a teacher. I don't know how it will ever happen or when I'll go to school to do it legally, but I want to teach. I love the structure of the school day, knowing you're prepping these kids for success, and keeping them safe. Most of their home lives are terrible but for a couple of hours during the day I get to make them smile and feel loved. Funny, the one occupation I said I'd never dream of doing is the one that has my heart.

Journalism is great - it's exciting and makes my pulse quicken - but I've known for a while that I'll never work as a journalist. I'm far too laid back and empathetic to barrage a grieving family for quotes about their murdered loved one. I can't do that "shoe leather reporting", as my professors call it.

Anyway, as for food:

Breakfast: an orange + vanilla almond Luna bar (my new fav flavor!! tasted like Rice Crispy Treats....drool.) + coffee (a rare treat that seemed to rev my hunger like nuts)

Lunch: super hungry from the coffee, I first had a carrot, then some curry-cayenne chickpeas, then some cantaloupe, then a packet of pb. Plus a few glasses of water. Once that beast of hunger was tamed, I set to work transcribing an interview from last Friday and throwing together a study guide for my Communication Law exam on Monday.

I worked, then ate another Luna bar (caramel nut brownie) on the way to the gym.

I just started lifting so that I can build some muscle (side note: growing up involved in sports I had such great muscle mass. When I stopped eating a couple of years ago, it all disappeared FAST. Now I want it back!). I'm still easing into it. Today I did 4 sets of 10 leg presses with about 100lbs (don't laugh), inner thighs, outer thighs, and arms.

Unfortunately, I have a shin splint so I'm not running. Today was a little baby cardio workout. I miss my cardio fests :( Today I did 30 mins on an elliptical-ish machine that's legs-only with a cross ramp of 10 so that it worked my glutes and quads and so that my shin wasn't strained. Then I did 20 minutes of the strength setting on the reclining bike thing. (I'm embarassing myself here, aren't I? Not knowing the names of anything I use. Wimpy workouts. Oh well, I'm just glad I'm motivated.) I've kept my New Years goal to work out 3 times a week! :)

Dinner: Vegan Dad's Tarka Dal (or my college rendition of it)
Desert: a few spoonfuls of crunchy pb and a handful of raw pumpkin seeds

Tomorrow I hunt for chia seeds!! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment